The Oshawa and District Shrine Club is a part of the parent umbrella of Rameses Shrine Temple #33 in Toronto. Which in turn is part of the world’s greatest philanthropy based in Tampa Florida. We operate 22 children’s hospitals. Shriners Hospitals provide the highest quality medical care to children “regardless of the patient’s or family’s ability to pay”. Speciality treatment in burns, paediatric orthopaedic, polio, loss of limbs, spinal cord injuries and neuromuscular disorders as well as the leaders in cleft lip and palate reconstruction. Our care is given up to age 18 and in many cases beyond if the child is in our hospital care program prior to 18. The Shriners are committed to providing care to children worldwide and we work in conjunction with many Community Care Organizations to assist children in much needed treatments and care. In August of 2015 the new state of the art Shriner's Hospital was opened in Montreal.
The Oshawa and District Shrine Club
The Oshawa Shrine Club was instituted in the year 1944 by Noble Thomas Russell and under the Jurisdiction of Rameses Temple Toronto. The first few meetings consisted of five members under the leadership of Noble Thomas Russell. These five members were Noble Doug Taylor, Noble Norm Purdy, Noble Thomas Hopkins, Noble Jack Biddulph and Noble Jack Riley The first meetings were held at the YWCA and as membership grew we moved to a rented room at the Genosha Hotel. A further expansion in members soon took place and the meetings were held on the third floor at 18 Simcoe St. N. Navigating the 93 steps to the third floor made it difficult for older members; so when our current location became available. What was once a restaurant now became our clubhouse. It was an ideal location with possibilities of expansion. Many of the members donated time and money to make the building habitable. In 1956 our organization formed a limited company and had it incorporated. Noble Norm Purdy drew up by-laws and had them approved by Rameses temple.
Each year the Oshawa Shrine Club hosted the Shriners circus. In order to keep members interested and active in the community units were formed. Noble Orme Cole organized the Oriental Band and Noble Frank Bruce organized the mini-bike unit. In May 1977 Oshawa and District Shrine Club hosted the Oriental Band Jamboree. More than 1000 bandsmen competed and paraded on the streets of Oshawa. In attendance were Shriners from Ontario, New York State and as far away as from Michigan and Pennsylvania.
The Oshawa and District Shrine Club has had substantial donations over the years to the Shriners hospital in Montreal, Oshawa General hospital and other local charities.